Sunday, December 2, 2007

Kiss Me Deadly and "The Box"


Wow Kiss Me Deadly was a really strange movie. Apart from the ending which I didn't like at all, I didn't think the rest of the movie was that great either. I now understand why this was a B movie when it was released but I don't get why now it's appreciated so much. If you haven't seen this movie the rest of this blog won't make much sense to you so might as well exit out.

I'm going to compare the box in the end of the movie to a real life situation and how they're similar. First of all when the woman is opening the box she immediately starts screaming revealing that whatever was in the box was really bad and she was afraid of. My question for her is, why the hell did you keep opening it then? This is something that I don't' understand. My only conclusion is that she had to open it so that the house would blow up and the movie could come to a confusing end. The way that this relates to the real world is when people do things that they know are bad, but do them anyway. She obviously knew nothing good was going to come out of opening the box but she did it anyway. This is similar to an arsonist who starts a fire with no cause. The arsonist knows that nothing good is going to come out of lighting something on fire but chooses to do it anyway.

My final thought on this movie is that I didn't like the way that it ended and didn't really feel that everything leading up to the ending was all that special either; this usually isn't a good combination for a good movie. In the end I didn't really enjoy the movie very much but am glad to have seen what a B film noir movie looks like and how it is different from an A movie.

No comments: